Feature request: modern Search engine

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Timur Born
User

Feature request: modern Search engine

Post by Timur Born »

Hello everyone!

For me PDF-XChange Viewer beats about every other Windows based PDF browser on the market when it comes to rendering and features! Unfortunately its Search functionality is just as basic (out of the last century) as everything else on the market. Believe it or not, but main reason for me to use OS X from time to time is for getting proper Search functionality for large PDF books.

Basically nearly every Windows PDF viewer only offers to go chronologically back and forward in Search results and even only lists results in chronological order. That's as if we would search the Internet via back and forward one item after the other and makes searching a very time consuming effort.

On OS X the built in Preview PDF viewer and some third party alternatives offer search results that are ordered by relevance (or at least number of hits per page), include thumbnails of relevant pages and colored markings of all found words on a page.

Please consider adding a real and modern Search functionality into PDF-XChange Viewer so that I don't need to fire up OS X just for better PDF handling.

Thanks and regards!
Nico - Tracker Supp
User

Re: Feature request: modern Search engine

Post by Nico - Tracker Supp »

Hi Timur,

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a very interesting feature request. I will forward it to the Development team for new features evaluation in future versions of PDF XChange Viewer.

Sincerely,
Nicolas
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Thank you Nicolas,

I hoped you would have said that it's already planned for V3, but you cannot have it all. ;)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Timur,

Thanks for the understanding!

Cheers,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

That being said: It would already be a *huge* improvement if you allowed to sort the Search results by number of hits (pages with more hits of the search term on top of the list). Of course I would prefer thumbnail results, but better sorting of what the Full Search box already presents would help a lot, too.

It's astounding how much better hits already get with this simple sorting mechanic, because it's likely that a topic is mentioned more than once on the page where it's discussed most.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

Yes certainly such a change in the search logic/ordering could have significant effect!
Your comments are noted and we will get to this as soon as our resources allow us!

Cheers,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi Forum & Tracker Team,

because I think that the below two feature requests also might be of interest for the people reading the present tread, I shall post the respective links here:

Suggestion: Revolutionary Killer Feature for Power Reading

Highlight all search term occurrences in a PDF document (with different colors for different search terms)

Keep up the great work,

Regards David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for your input David!

We do have those earlier discussions in mind as well!

Cheers,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin