Background execution of lengthy operations

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

Background execution of lengthy operations

Post by Jensen Head »

PDF-XChange Editor is currently a single task application from the user's point of view. That is, while some operation is being performed on one document, it is impossible to work with other open documents. For example, if the operation of recognition of the selected pages lasts 10-15 minutes, that is how long the break in the user's work with other documents lasts.

I propose to do as implemented in Adobe Photoshop: the document being processed by the application is blocked, however, it remains possible to work with other applications. At the same time, a progress bar is displayed in the status bar of the application, by which the user can see if something is currently being done (for example, to explain the loss of responsiveness of the application), what exactly is being done, and approximately when the background work will end.

Alternatively, this can be implemented, as in Double Commander - the operation execution window can be minimized to the status bar, continuing to interact with the main application window.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Background execution of lengthy operations

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

You are correct about the current way the Editor works.
However with the exception of OCR - most other operations should be near instantaneous.
So if you have a heavy file to OCR - please run that in the PDF Tools so that it is processed in the background, and you can continue to work on your other files in the Editor.

I will pass on your suggestions for consideration to the dev team!

Kind regards,
Stefan
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Jensen Head and Stefan,

As you may already know, I think a good workaround is to use the Portable version together. I use the Portable version to work around the limitation of the current PDF-XChange Editor that only one screen can be set to full screen mode at a time.

• How to display all windows in full screen on multiple monitors?
    https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353
I register the Portable version with the full-screen option in "Launch Applications" and then register the command in the Quick Access Toolbar.

portable.png

Parameters are set to open the same page of the current document in full screen mode.

Code: Select all

/A "fullscreen=yes;page=%p" "%1"
I register it alongside the "New Document Window" command in the Quick Access Toolbar. The two commands are almost identical at a quick glance. Once a dialog is opened to perform some task in PDF-XChange Editor, not just while OCR is running, no other files can be referenced until the dialog is closed. This restriction exists in all types of dialogs, such as the crop and link tools. I often need to refer to other files to enter parameters for dialogs, so the Portable version is useful in those cases as well. The license can be used on the same computer, so there is no reason not to use it.

Best regards,
rakunavi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, All

I should mention that the Dev team is aware of the desire to continue editing while long operations, such as OCR are running in the background. This is something we hope to offer in the future, but it will come with some restrictions.
Obviously, you will only be able to continue working with files that are not being processed by a long running feature, (IE, you will not be able to add comments to the document OCR is being run on). Aside from that caveat, it certainly should be possible and is intended to eventually make an appearance, however it will be very complicated to implement, and it is not something that I can offer a timeline for. All I can promise is that it is still likely quite a long way away.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post!

There is another operation that can take an annoyingly long time (minutes and tens of minutes with dozens of pages) - rasterization with a resolution of more than 600 dpi with page sizes from Letter / A4.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jensen Head

When implemented it should be aimed at encompassing all operations (though of course it will only be useful/noticed for those which last a long while).

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com