Suggestions for better Stamps

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: PDF-XChange Support, Daniel - PDF-XChange, Chris - PDF-XChange, Sean - PDF-XChange, Paul - PDF-XChange, Vasyl - PDF-XChange, Ivan - Tracker Software, Stefan - PDF-XChange

Markurz
User
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:40 am

Suggestions for better Stamps

Post by Markurz »

Hello everyone,

I recently setup a decently sized collection of stamps. I work as a civil engineer in river restoration and flood protection and I imported some stamps for different structures from our CAD templates. While doing so I encountered a few limitations with the current implementation of stamps.

Firstly I noticed how cumbersome rearranging stamps is at the moment, I found a couple posts addressing this on the forum already but wanted to point it out again. I would greatly appreciate the ability to rearrange stamps and custom formats/measurements and so on.

Next I would love the ability to change the aspect ratio of stamps. All the stamps I created are vector based and it would make them a lot more versatile if I could change the aspect ratio. I am aware that that does only make sense for specific stamps but I imagine it would be a pretty straight forward addition.

Lastly I noticed that although all stamps have a stroke colour attribute changing it does not make any difference. It would be a game changer If I could change the stroke and maybe even the fill colour of stamps. Right now I need multiple stamps with different colours and whenever I need an additional colour I have to create it in a separate program and import it. It makes my stamp collections very hard to navigate (The fact that rearanging them is very time consuming definitely does not help here either)

Kind reagrds
Markus
User avatar
Sean - PDF-XChange
Site Admin
Posts: 1256
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Suggestions for better Stamps

Post by Sean - PDF-XChange »

Hi Markurz,

I've passed this on to the development team for review.

Kind regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
PDF-XChange Co LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
User avatar
Mathew
User
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: Suggestions for better Stamps

Post by Mathew »

Markurz wrote: ↑Mon Feb 16, 2026 5:01 pm Lastly I noticed that although all stamps have a stroke colour attribute changing it does not make any difference. It would be a game changer If I could change the stroke and maybe even the fill colour of stamps. Right now I need multiple stamps with different colours and whenever I need an additional colour I have to create it in a separate program and import it. It makes my stamp collections very hard to navigate (The fact that rearanging them is very time consuming definitely does not help here either)

Kind reagrds
Markus
Markus,

If you don't mind getting a bit into the weeds and making stamps with annotation markups instead of importing base content, there is a way currently to make a single stamp that can be placed with different colors. I made a tool that does most of the javascript work: viewtopic.php?t=45879 It does take some effort to make the stamps and set them up though.

This is the example with a single color and a text field: viewtopic.php?p=191944#p191944

This is the example with multiple colors in a stamp: viewtopic.php?p=192278#p192278

Mathew.
Anthona
User
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2025 7:17 am

Re: Suggestions for better Stamps

Post by Anthona »

Mathew wrote: ↑Wed Feb 18, 2026 7:59 pm
Markurz wrote: ↑Mon Feb 16, 2026 5:01 pm Lastly I noticed that although all stamps have a stroke colour attribute changing it does not make any difference. It would be a game changer If I could change the stroke and maybe even the fill colour of stamps. Right now I need multiple stamps with different colours and whenever I need an additional colour I have to create it in a separate program and import it. It makes my stamp collections very hard to navigate (The fact that rearanging them is very time consuming definitely does not help here either)

Kind reagrds
Markus
Markus,

If you don't mind getting a bit into the weeds and making stamps with annotation markups instead of importing base content, there is a way currently to make a single stamp that can be placed with different colors. I made a tool that does most of the javascript work: viewtopic.php?t=45879 It does take some effort to make the stamps and set them up though.

This is the example with a single color and a text field: https://drivemad3.io/viewtopic.php?p=191944#p191944

This is the example with multiple colors in a stamp: viewtopic.php?p=192278#p192278

Mathew.
Thank you!
User avatar
Sean - PDF-XChange
Site Admin
Posts: 1256
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Suggestions for better Stamps

Post by Sean - PDF-XChange »

:)
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
PDF-XChange Co LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
Markurz
User
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:40 am

Re: Suggestions for better Stamps

Post by Markurz »

Hi Mathew,

this looks great, thank you! I can certainly use this to replace some of my stamps. Some of my stamps are sadly rather complex and I want them to look exactly like the ones in our CAD so recreating them this way wont be feasible. But I love the idea and the tool, I will for sure use the number and letter labels with differently shaped borders.

Markus
Mathew wrote: ↑Wed Feb 18, 2026 7:59 pm
Markurz wrote: ↑Mon Feb 16, 2026 5:01 pm Lastly I noticed that although all stamps have a stroke colour attribute changing it does not make any difference. It would be a game changer If I could change the stroke and maybe even the fill colour of stamps. Right now I need multiple stamps with different colours and whenever I need an additional colour I have to create it in a separate program and import it. It makes my stamp collections very hard to navigate (The fact that rearanging them is very time consuming definitely does not help here either)

Kind reagrds
Markus
Markus,

If you don't mind getting a bit into the weeds and making stamps with annotation markups instead of importing base content, there is a way currently to make a single stamp that can be placed with different colors. I made a tool that does most of the javascript work: viewtopic.php?t=45879 It does take some effort to make the stamps and set them up though.

This is the example with a single color and a text field: viewtopic.php?p=191944#p191944

This is the example with multiple colors in a stamp: viewtopic.php?p=192278#p192278

Mathew.
User avatar
Sean - PDF-XChange
Site Admin
Posts: 1256
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Suggestions for better Stamps

Post by Sean - PDF-XChange »

:)
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
PDF-XChange Co LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
User avatar
Sean - PDF-XChange
Site Admin
Posts: 1256
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Suggestions for better Stamps

Post by Sean - PDF-XChange »

Just an update here - the development team have said that they will add a "Recolor Stamp" feature to edit existing stamps on the page. It will work through the "Recolor Document" feature. They will also consider the possibility of resizing existing stamp on the page without keeping the aspect ratio, and a feature request ticket has been made for those changes:

Ticket #7764: Recolor Stamps and Resize without Retaining Aspect Ratio

They also pointed out that there is already the possibility to edit stamps directly from the stamps palette. It opens new single-page document tab with the stamp on it, and users can edit stamps there however they want, including via third-party editing software. When the stamp is saved in that tab - it immediately updates in the stamps palette.

I hope that is of some assistance to you.

Kind regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
PDF-XChange Co LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
TBS
User
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2026 2:52 pm

Re: Suggestions for better Stamps

Post by TBS »

It would also be nice if the pre-fabbed JavaScript functions for the "Create Custom Stamp" could also be available when editing an existing stamp.
User avatar
Mathew
User
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: Suggestions for better Stamps

Post by Mathew »

Sean - PDF-XChange wrote: ↑Wed Feb 25, 2026 11:18 am Just an update here - the development team have said that they will add a "Recolor Stamp" feature to edit existing stamps on the page. It will work through the "Recolor Document" feature. They will also consider the possibility of resizing existing stamp on the page without keeping the aspect ratio, and a feature request ticket has been made for those changes:

Ticket #7764: Recolor Stamps and Resize without Retaining Aspect Ratio
This is fantastic news! Thanks!

TBS wrote: ↑Mon Mar 02, 2026 1:23 pm It would also be nice if the pre-fabbed JavaScript functions for the "Create Custom Stamp" could also be available when editing an existing stamp.
...maybe if the macros buttons were added to the top of the Edit Javascript window?
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Sean - PDF-XChange
Site Admin
Posts: 1256
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Suggestions for better Stamps

Post by Sean - PDF-XChange »

Thanks for the input Mathew - the development team will consider these things when they come to this feature request.

Kind regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
PDF-XChange Co LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623